Thursday, February 04, 2010

Testing new blog publishing

So why is Blogger meeting some resistance from users who are using the soon-to-be-obsolete FTP publishing method and not upgrade to the new and improve publishing method like custom domains? From my experience right now, perhaps it is because the transition is not working as smoothly as expect, due to some technical details that some users are not aware of.

After changing my Blogger settings to use the new method, new blog entries are said to have been published, but it looks like they have not been transfered to my blog. It turns out switching to custom domains also means switching where the blog files are stored. Even though I'm still saying the target is, the files are now published on Blogger's server instead of my ISP's server. The rest of the world still gets to my old blog when they access The step that is needed is for me to add a CNAME on my web host side, to say that is going to After 24hrs, will now point to the new content.

I think I'm luckier as I don't have custom uploaded images or files, so I don't have to worry about htaccess files to resolve missing stuff not transferred.

Update #1: well, 24hrs later, and the old blog is still being accessed, with no sign of the new blog.

Update #2: The switchover is working :)

blog instability coming

Blogger is changing some of their publishing options and this blog will be affected. Please excuse any broken links or missing images until I find an appropriate solution.

Problem 1 is that this post can't be posted! "I've got a bad feeling about this..."